Sunday, December 21, 2008

Blueberry Cowl


I loved knitting this cowl. Everything about it, the yarn, gauge, and stitch was perfect for enjoyable knitting.
The yarn is my hand-dyed (remember this?) Knit Picks fingering weight dyed with five grape koolaid packets. At first I had been going for a self-striping yarn, but the colour segments didn't contrast enough. In addition, in the middle of the colour segments there were little areas where the dye had only turned the yarn a light periwinkle, messing up any visible striping.

At first when I was going through my stash, I was planning on using my Cherry Tree Hill sock yarn for a cowl, then I saw the hand-dyed skein and knew that it was perfect for what I had in mind.
I think even though I dyed the yarn for a selfstriping sock yarn, it worked great as more of a variegated and I love the way the colours rotated around the cowl.
I may still pull out the Cherry Tree for a gift though.

Project Notes:
I made a gauge swatch with my size 3 needle and got 6sts an inch. I then cast on 132 sts for the cowl. After knitting about an inch, it seemed a little to large, so I went down to 120sts which turned out perfect.
I first 10 rows of garter (which apparently "jogs" at the seam line, nice.) then 8 inches of stockinette, followed by another 10 rows of garter.
I only used about half the yarn so the rest may become fingerless mitts for the sister or a friend.
On a different note, only 4 more days till Christmas!!!
I actually ended up with a few knitted gifts (besides the stockings) so I'll blog about that after Christmas day. I'm already thinking about next year, when I plan to do more Christmas knitting.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Love it! The dye job looks wonderful too. It looks like it smells like berries too.

Celestial said...

This is so cute in person, glad I got to see it!

Side note...the cowl I have seems to keep getting wider and shorter the more I wear it. Should this happen to you be ready to block it every so often. At least it's simple to do.