Sunday, November 16, 2008

Swallowtail Shawl


Project Details:


Yarn: Misti Alpaca Laceweight (colourway: Maize, 1 skein only, but it was close!)
Needle: Knit Picks size 3 (3.25mm) 47" circ Mods: Enlarged following the instructions here.

Timeline: Took me 10days to knit, plus one to block. Went very fast indeed, even though the final stitch count was approx. 406sts!

I really enjoyed this knitting this shawl, the border helped keep it interesting. The finished product is very, very delicate, more so than my Shetland Triangle. It seems to have a definite Victorian air about it.


As for the dreaded nupps (rhymes with soups), I actually didn't have any trouble at all. Before beginning I watched this video on the Knitting Daily website, and found it very helpful.

Stylistically, bobbles and bobble-like elements aren't really my thing, but I actually really like the nupps, I think it helps that they are knit in laceweight as it then creates a fairly delicate look.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Lovely and quick! I wonder how long it would take me to knit a shawl. I've dipped my toe in lace just by knitting a few socks and a clapotis. I've never considered it real lace knitting. When I do jump in the swallow tail is first on my list.

Is this for you or a gift?

Ellen said...

Thanks! I'm thinking I'll keep this one, I always have a hard time giving away knitting! :)

Orinda5 said...

That color is so buttery and lovely.
Beautiful work!