Monday, September 21, 2009

Handspun Shawl

This is my first FO with some of my handspun. I'm really happy with the way it turned out.

Ravelry Project Link
The yarn doesn't have much stitch definition, so the lace pattern is a little indistinct. It's supposed to look like a basketweave pattern.
I started this off as a simple stockinette shawl for a "mindless knitting" project. About halfway through I got bored and decided to add a lace border. I had to do quite a bit of re-working to the lace pattern to get it to fit with the increases, but eventually I got it figured out. I was excited about how the edging chart turned out too, it fits in perfectly with the basketweave.
Working with my handspun was a little nerve-wracking because of how thin and underspun the yarn was. One spot got so thin that I even considered frogging back to fix it. Hopefully the yarns I'm currently spinning will be better in that respect.
I have a skein of sportweight I have yet to blog about and I'm currently spinning up 4oz of merino top into some sockweight. I've already finished half of the singles, so I should have some more finished yarn within the next weeks. :)

2 comments:

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

Congratulations! The shawl is beautiful. It must be very satisfying to knit something with your own handspun! Someday...(it will take a while on the spindle)

Celestial said...

Looks great in the photos. It was so soft and weightless to touch. Glad it turned out so well!