Thursday, August 6, 2009

Handspun


Merino Handspun (singles blogged about here).
This didn't really turn out as well as I hoped. But I did get quite a bit of yardage...408 yds.
This will probably mittens or a lace shawl...haven't thought about it too much though.
The weight fluctuates between a fingering and a lace weight.
Next: Mohair and Wool Mill Ends
A light fingering weight.
Navajo Plyed (3-ply).
167 yds.
Not sure what to do with this, it turned out pretty well, but it seems too rough to use for the projects I would be considering (a hat or cowl). I'll have to knit it up and see how it feels.
I mentioned the singles over here, and as I noted then, I did need to run the singles through the wheel again to get enough twist into them. After that, plying the singles was very easy and I'm pretty happy with this skein. It is a little hard to see the way the 3-ply looks in the photos because the halo from the mohair is so excessive. I only used about 1/3 of the singles by the way...still have to plenty to re-spin and ply. :)
Currently on the wheel, I'm spinning up some superwash wool mill ends. So far it seems to be going well, but I haven't gotten a chance to work on the singles for several days so it might be while before I finish.

2 comments:

Celestial said...

Looking good!

Just remember that you are new to this and you haven't had a class. Knowing that I think you are doing exceptionally well!

CanarySanctuary said...

Beautiful! I find this whole process fascinating. There's a knitting festival coming up in a month round my locale. I just might be hankerin' for a spinning wheel by then!