Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Fabric Basket



Such a fun project! I found it pretty easy to sew as well, the tutorial was great.

It fits my current knitting project (socks, which are almost finished by the way) perfectly, I have room for the yarn, sock-in-progress, finished sock and the pattern. So cute.

The only mods I made were to use craft felt as the stabilizer, and to lengthen each handle by two inches. I also made the boxed corners of the bag 1.25" instead of the 1.75" (?) suggested in the pattern.

Here is the bag shown with a ruler for scale.

I have a little sewing experience, but I haven't really gotten into as much I have knitting and a few other crafty things, mainly because I have a fairly finicky sewing machine. It does its job though, and I'm not really keen on buying a new machine since I know that at this point in time, I wouldn't use it enough to offset the cost.

I realized about halfway through the project, that I was using the wrong size needle, which probably contributed to most of my problems, I also need to do a little tension re-adjustment before my next project.

I'm definitely going to be trying out some more sewing patterns in the future. I need to make a new case for my yarn needles and all my misc. knitting stuff so that will probably be next.



At any rate, I really, really enjoyed this little project, it was very quick to sew (probably 6-7 hours total) and came out looking very cute. In fact, I liked sewing it so much that I may have already cut out the fabric for another one...

2 comments:

Teresa said...

That's adorable! And I love your fabric choices too :)

Jennifer said...

The patchwork turned out great! And cute too! I bet it makes you want to knit on the socks. :)