Saturday, October 25, 2008

Tres Leches Cake

"Three-milk" cake.
I tasted a piece of this cake one time at a Christmas party, and loved it. However, I was unable to procure the recipe (family secret) and was given simply the name of the cake, "Tres Leches" or "three-milk" cake. After failing to find a recipe I completely forgot about the cake, but now, a few years later, while paging through my new cookbook I saw a photo that looked very similar to the cake I'd tasted and upon examining the recipe and comparing it to what I remembered of the cake, I realized that this must be it.

And indeed it was.
Basically this a yellow cake with a bit of cinnamon added, and extra eggs to give the finished cake more substance. Before baking of course, the batter is thinner than a typical yellow cake because of those extra eggs.
Once the cake has cooled for about 10minutes, about 50 holes are poked into it with a skewer, and a mixture of evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, and heavy cream (hence "three-milk" cake) is poured onto the cake.
The cake then chills in the fridge for a few hours till cold, and is frosted with homemade whipped cream. Mmmm.

Very simple and easy, however this cake is really, really rich, so don't bake it unless you have a lot of people to help you eat it!

By the way, I've been trying to place what this cake reminds me of and I finally decided: a snickerdoodle dipped in cold milk.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

Wow, that sounds delicious, and I'm not even a cake person. Looks delicious too. Great photos :) Thanks for sharing!