Monday, August 25, 2008

A Prolonged Fixation

Project Specs:

Ravelry Link
Pattern: Beaded Rib by Charlene Schurch (Sensational Knitted Socks)
Yarn: Cascade Fixation (2 skeins, I have about 50-75yds (?) leftover)
Needle: Addi Turbo 40" size 0 (2.00mm)
Gauge 6sts per inch, 12rows per inch

When I cast on for these socks, the only 40" circ I had available was my 2.00mm Addi, which was way too small for the yarn, so I knit very loosely and got the very odd gauge of 6stsX12rows. In other words, stitch gauge of a sportweight yarn, and a row gauge of a fingering weight.

Cascade Fixation has virtually no stitch definition, so a simple rib pattern ended up being a good choice. I didn't find the yarn too difficult to work with, in fact I rather liked it, but because of the lack of stitch of stitch definition, I probably won't buy this yarn again unless I have a hankering for some super-simple stockinette or ribbed socks.

In other knitting news, I finally bought a swift! I stopped in my LYS this week with a 10% off coupon and bought the swift and some sweater yarn (Cascade 220) for Corona.

My latest wip is the Leaf Lace Scarf by Janet D. Russell. I'm using Malabrigo Laceweight in the Olive colorway. I have about 8" so far and this knit is coming along fairly quickly.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I purchased some fixation a long time back thinking I'd make some socks but I wound up pairing it with some worsted weight wool to make a scarf. It turned out great but I don't think I'd buy it again for socks. I'm too hooked on Socks that Rock anyway. I love your projects in progress. do you have great taste.